Lord and Lady Inglewood are looking for an experienced and energetic working gardener at Hutton-in-the-Forest, a Grade 1 historic house and garden 5 miles north west of Penrith, close to the Lake District National Park. The house and gardens are open to the public from April to October.
The garden dates back to the C17th and its focus is the 2 acre walled garden with herbaceous borders, roses and trained fruit trees, and the adjoining potting shed yard with four small greenhouses.
The rest of the 10 acres consists of lawns, topiary, terraces, a wild flower meadow, lake and woodland walk. Alan the caretaker/groundsman works outside in the afternoons and mows the lawns. In addition, there is help 2/4 days a week and from occasional volunteer gardeners. The hedges are maintained by outside contract.
The successful applicant should have:
▪ Energy and enthusiasm for hands on, physical work.
▪ At least 5 years practical experience working in a private/similar historic garden.
▪ Knowledge and genuine interest in growing and looking after plants.
▪ Experience managing small numbers of people and volunteers.
▪ Experience using and maintaining garden machinery.
▪ Horticultural qualifications or equivalent, a spraying certificate and preferably a chainsaw certificate.
The standard working week is 40 hours, plus watering at weekends when needed. In addition there is occasional work for House Opening events, working alongside and liaising with Estate and Farm Staff. The salary is negotiable and will be commensurate with the experience of the successful applicant. A three-bedroom cottage is available on a service occupancy, rent and council tax free.
This is a marvellous and unusual opportunity to be involved with the maintenance and further development of a beautiful and important historic garden, in which Lord and Lady Inglewood take a keen interest. It is hard work and requires considerable self-discipline, but is very rewarding.
If you wish to apply, please email your C.V. with a covering letter to email@example.com