The Cupid Room
Perhaps the finest room in the house, the Cupid Room is the first of a suite of three rooms designed for Henry Fletcher in the 1740s. This architectural room is named after the Cupid centerpiece of the delicate rococo ceiling, for which the plasterer Joseph Rose the Elder was paid £25 in 1745.
Since hosting Potfest in the Park, an eclectic collection of contemporary ceramics has been built up at Hutton, including works by Martin McWilliam, Peter Beard, and other renowned potters from all over Europe and Japan. They sit very happily in the old rooms.
The Cupid Staircase
Hutton is a romantic place, as the magnificent Cupid Staircase testifies. The 17th century carving of the winged boys swinging on acanthus leaves is unusually bold and vigorous and echoes the panel from the Playing Boys set of Mortlake tapestries at the head of the stairs.