The Architecture

Hutton-in-the-Forest reflects centuries of history and change. The oldest part of the house is the Pele Tower, built in the time of the de Hoton family in c. 1350. It is one of many pele towers built in Cumberland by wealthy families, who were highly aware of the threat from the Scots to the north. Originally with a moat, the pele tower was added on to by successive generations leaving us today with an extraordinary house of six distinct architectural periods spanning over 600 years – a rich illustration of the development of the country house in the North of England.

The East Front

This classical, almost rococo renaissance facade is a tour-de-force and was built in the time of Sir George Fletcher 2nd Bart in 1685. The light coloured stonework and the delicate classical features contrast dramatically with the rest of the building. It was built by Edward Addison, almost certainly to the design of William Talman, architect of Lowther Castle, where Addison was clerk of works.

The Dovecote

Built in the second half of the 17th Century, it provided pigeon meat and eggs, and the manure was an important fertiliser. It accommodated 400 birds and contains a ‘potence’ – a revolving ladder to reach the nesting boxes.

The Gallery

The Gallery was added on in the time of Sir Henry Fletcher 1st Bart in the 1630s. Designed by Alexander Pogmire, the Gallery was built over an open arcade, now the Cloisters Tearoom.

The South Front

The well known Victorian architect Anthony Salvin was commissioned with George Webster of Kendal in the 1820s to undertake a major programme of restoration and change. He produced designs for the South East Tower which transformed Hutton into the building we see today, full of contrasts, mystery, surprise and excitement – a ‘Grand Design’ in effect, retaining the best of the old and adding some new elements.

The Gallery

The Gallery was added on in the time of Sir Henry Fletcher 1st Bart in the 1630s. Designed by Alexander Pogmire, the Gallery was built over an open arcade, now the Cloisters Tearoom.

The East Front

This classical, almost rococo renaissance facade is a tour-de-force and was built in the time of Sir George Fletcher 2nd Bart in 1685. The light coloured stonework and the delicate classical features contrast dramatically with the rest of the building. It was built by Edward Addison, almost certainly to the design of William Talman, architect of Lowther Castle, where Addison was clerk of works.

The South Front

The well known Victorian architect Anthony Salvin was commissioned with George Webster of Kendal in the 1820s to undertake a major programme of restoration and change. He produced designs for the South East Tower which transformed Hutton into the building we see today, full of contrasts, mystery, surprise and excitement – a ‘Grand Design’ in effect, retaining the best of the old and adding some new elements.

The Dovecote

Built in the second half of the 17th Century, it provided pigeon meat and eggs, and the manure was an important fertiliser. It accommodated 400 birds and contains a ‘potence’ – a revolving ladder to reach the nesting boxes.

 The Kip Engraving

The house today remains essentially as it is portrayed in Kip’s famous and delightful engraving of 1705. The second Gallery Wing was probably never built, although there was certainly a substantial building on the southern side of the courtyard. During the 18th Century, very little was done to the exterior of Hutton and the building as a whole suffered from some neglect.